CMC2018 accepts submissions in four categories: Papers (oral presentation or virtual presentation), Poster Presentation with Paper (both physical presentation or virtual presentation), Poster Presentation without Paper, and Presentation of Innovative Experience. Each of these different types of papers is described in the formal Call for Papers. Please observe this conference is about concept mapping, so papers that are not about concept mapping will be rejected.
All papers should be presented in English or Spanish. The Proceedings of the Conference will be published as a book therefore special attention needs to be paid to the paper formatting, particularly on the camera-ready submission. A Microsoft Word template/sample paper is available as a guideline, which must be followed closely. Papers submitted in technically unsuitable form will not be published in the Proceedings.
- Oral Presentation and Virtual Presentation Papers: maximum length of 10 pages.
- Poster Presentation with Paper and Virtual Poster Presentation with Paper: maximum length of 4 pages.
- Poster Presentation without Paper and Virtual Poster Presentation without paper: 500-word abstract.
- Presentation of Innovative Experience: maximum length of 2 pages (increased from the original limit of 1 page).
Two Stage Submission
The submission process consists of two stages.
- Initial Submission for Review: the submission is reviewed by the Program Committee, and the submission is either accepted or rejected (in some cases, the submission maybe be accepted in a different category that the one for which it was submitted). For the Initial Submission there is the option of an Early Submission, which will provide the author with an earlier decision on the acceptance of their submission. Please note that submissions to the “Oral Presentation”, “Virtual Presentation”, and for “Poster Presentations with Paper” categories, a complete paper must be submitted for review. If you submit an Abstract, it will be reviewed for the “Poster Presentation without Paper” category.
- Final Submission: camera-ready submission of the paper for inclusion in the Conference Proceedings (in Word format). And for Virtual Presentations, the presentation file (Power Point or equivalent or video) or poster in PDF format.
We’ve added an Early Submission date (April 1, 2018) for those authors who need to know early whether their paper has been accepted or not, usually to request financial support. The regular submission deadline is May 4, 2018. You can do your submission at any of the two dates.
April 1, 2018: Early Submission Deadline (for authors who need an early notification)
April 18, 2018: Early Submission Acceptance Notification
May 4, 2018: Proposal Submission Deadline (regular submission deadline)
May 25, 2018: Submission Acceptance Notification
<to be announced>: Early Registration Deadline
July 1, 2018: Final Submissions Deadline (Springer papers)
Jul 27, 2018: Final Submissions Deadline
Initial Submission: Paper Preparation Guidelines
All submissions should be written in English or Spanish.
Posters without Paper and Virtual Posters without Paper
- 500-word maximum abstract. The abstract will be included in the Conference Proceedings.
- Two-page maximum description of the experience.
Oral Presentation Papers, Virtual Presentation Papers, Posters with Paper, Virtual Posters with Papers
Oral Presentation Paper and Virtual Presentation Paper submissions should have a maximum length of 10 pages. Poster with Paper and Virtual Poster with Paper submissions should have a maximum length of 4 pages. Please note that the complete paper must be submitted for review, a submission consisting only of an abstract will not be considered for these categories.
- All figures (e.g. concept maps) must be in the same language as the paper. If needed, a translated figure should be included besides the original figure.
- Figures should, to the extent possible, be included within the text, not as appendices at the end.
- Make sure all figures are included and referenced properly. Even if they are at the end, figures are included in the page count limit.
- Make sure that figures are legible, particularly concept maps. If they are in color, make sure they read well when printed in black and white.
- References should be placed at the end of the paper, as in the sample document and template available below.
- The abstract should be in English, even if your paper is in Spanish (this is necessary to have the the Proceedings indexed by academic indexing services)
- If your paper is in English, and English is not your native language, please have a fluent English speaker review the grammar and spelling. (It is always a good idea to have a colleague review your papers anyway.)
- The initial submission is through a Web page interface. Do not send papers through email. If you have technical difficulties with the submission, send an email to the contact address of the conference cmc2018.
- Please observe that no author names or affiliation should be included within the initial submission document. These should be included in the final submission of the paper.
- The document itself should be prepared as a Word (.doc) document following the template/sample paper available below. The document should be uploaded as a single, Word document, not as a zip file. PDFs are not accepted either.
Please use the following Word documents as a guideline for your paper. All papers, posters, symposium and roundtables use the same format, the difference is in the length of the papers submitted. If you are submitting a Poster without Paper, just delete all the text after the Abstract. For an Innovative Experience, write a one-page description following the given format for the title and authors.
In case you want to set up your own styles, details are included at the end of this page.
In case you don’t want to use the Word document or template as a base, use the following to set up your styles (template’s style name is in parenthesis):
Page size: Please note that the paper size is Standard Letter size (approx 8.5 x 11 in). For Europeans, this is wider and shorter than A4 size. In Word, go to the Page Setup menu, and under Paper Size select US Letter or Standard Letter.
Margins: 2.54 cms (1 inch) on each of the four sides of the page. Please make sure figures are within these margins.
Page numbers: do NOT include page numbers, these will be added by the publisher.
Font: The Font throughout the document should be Times New Roman.
Font size: Except where indicated otherwise (e.g. Title), point size should be 10.
Paper Title (Title): Centered, no indentation, 10 pt, bold, all caps, spacing before: 20 pt, after: 20 pt.
Authors (Authors): Centered, no indentation, 9 pt, italic, spacing before: 3 pt, after: 12 pt. (authors are not included in this initial submission).
Abstract (Abstract): Justified, 8 pt, Times New Roman, Left Indent: 0.25 in, Right Indent: 0.25 in, Spacing before: 0 pt, after: 0 pt., Line Spacing: Single.
Level 1 Heading (Heading 1): Left alignment, Hanging indent: 0.25 in, 10 pt, bold, spacing before: 20 pt, after: 12 pt. (format: section number <tab> header)
Level 2 Heading (Heading 2): Left alignment, Hanging indent: 0.35 in, 10 pt, italic, Spacing before: 18 pt, after: 6 pt. (format: subsection number <tab> header)
Level 3 Heading (Heading 3): left alignment, Hanging indent: 0.45 in, 10 pt, Spacing before: 12 pt, after: 6 pt. (format: subsection number <tab> header)
Level 4 Heading: Left alignment, Hanging indent: 0.5in, 10 pt, Spacing before: 12 pt, after: 3 pt. (format: subsection number <tab> header)
First Paragraph after Heading (Paragraph after Heading): Times New Roman, 10 pt, Justified, Left Indent: 0, Right Indent: 0, Line Spacing: Single; Spacing before: 0pt, after: 0pt; Style for following paragraph: para.
Paragraphs (para): Times New Roman, 10 pt, Justified, Left Indent First line: 0.25in, Right Indent: 0, Line Spacing: Single; Spacing before: 0 pt, after: 0 pt; Style for following paragraph: para.
References/Bibliography (Reference): Times New Roman, 10 pt, Justified, Left Indent: 0 in, Right Indent: 0 in, Hanging Indent: 0.3 in; Line Spacing: Singe; Spacing before: 0, after: 4 pt.
Figure & Table Captions (Caption): Times New Roman, 8 pt, Centered, Spacing before: 6 pt, after: 6 pt.